Monday, May 18, 2015

Ballast came loose from one race car (nascar) and went straight through the windshield of another


During practice laps of around 130 mph,  a piece of metal ballast left Ross Chastain’s car and flew straight into Jaime Dick's car when running practice laps at Iowa Speedway, taking care of the hood, cowl, and polycarbonate windshield before smacking Dick right in the visor.

The piece of metal that struck him was either lead or tungsten that teams use to add extra weight to their stock cars, but the metal wasn't properly bolted down. "All the spacers and lead started coming out," Dick said. "I dodged the spacers, but I didn't dodge the lead."


Meanwhile, Chastain took to Twitter to apologize. “On behalf of myself and everybody at JD Motorsports, I want to apologize to Jaime and everyone at Viva Motorsports. Words don’t mean much right now but I’ll do everything I can to make this right and changes will be made on our end. Right now I’m just glad my friend is alright.”

Photo credits to twitter.com/@MRNRadio  and  twitter/@JasonToy  via http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/nightmare-scenario-rogue-metal-ballast-smashes-into-nascar-xfinity-car-during-practice/

Also info from http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/motor/auto-racing/2015/05/16/jamie-dick-struck-metal-iowa-speedway/27438039/

No comments:

Post a Comment